By Ollie Clamp
The survey also found that 83 percent of developers were monetising their apps in 2013. Most make their money from advertising (73%), followed by paid downloads (43%). Of the 17 percent who had yet to monetise their apps, almost half (46%) reported that they expected to do so in 2014. Developers were bullish for 2014 as well, especially on ads – more than half of those surveyed expected to see their percentage of revenue from in-app advertising rise in the coming year.
With almost a third (30%) of respondents coming from Europe, regional highlights include:
• European developers get 45 percent of their impressions from the Americas, which is only a shade more than the 47 percent of impressions that come from their own region
• Although the majority have developed on their own, almost half of European app developers (45%) are looking to grow the size of their business to 2-9 employees in 2014
• A massive 83 percent of European app developers are looking to build universal apps that run on either smartphone or tablets in 2014
• Top 2014 Goals for EMEA developers: developing new applications (52%); maximising revenue (22%); and finding new distribution channels & improving discovery (both 11%).
• Top 2014 Strategies for EMEA developers: gaining user feedback/ratings (35%); driving revenue (28%); and increasing number of app downloads / shares (17%).
One of the most noticeable changes from past years is the spike in Android development. In Millennial Media’s 2010 State of the Apps survey, only 23 percent of developers were publishing for Android OS. Looking at 2013’s responses, that number has more than tripled to 80 percent.
You may have the access to the full report on the link below:
About the author
Ollie Clamp is Head of Global Monetisation Services, EMEA, at Millennial Media.
Millennial Media is the leading independent mobile advertising platform. The Company’s unique data asset and full technology stack enable its demand and supply-side clients to garner meaningful results to drive their business. Based on its mobile-first approach to data, technology, and audience targeting, Millennial Media is leading the market by connecting consumers with relevant messages across screens. For advertisers looking to reach and engage with consumers in powerful ways, Millennial Media offers a broad array of solutions, delivered through brand, performance, and programmatic approaches. For developers and publishers, the Company offers a comprehensive set of managed and automated services to maximize revenue.