By Carin Van Vuuren
In the run up to the crucial Christmas shopping season, brands need to do what they can to tempt customers out of the cold and into the store. Increasingly, the way to do this is through in-store technology. According to a report released today by leader in mobile and multichannel technology, Usablenet, 77 per cent of UK customers have already used in-store kiosks for browsing and ordering.
Usablenet’s research, “Providing Seamless Multichannel Experiences for the Captive Consumer,” provides retailers with some top tips for implementing the technology successfully:
1. In-store mobile experiences need to address consumer needs first and foremost – 66 per cent of customers compare product prices on smartphones whilst browsing in-store, while 57 per cent check reviews. Kiosks must provide this and more if they are going to engage the customer
2. Self-service kiosks must empower shoppers and enable them to purchase there and then – 81 per cent of consumers prefer to browse on mobile and buy on a larger device
3. Additionally, retailers must think of the journey, not the transaction – stores can’t assume a customer’s interaction with an in-store kiosk will result in an on-the-spot purchase
4. Free in-store WiFi is essential – 46 per cent of UK shoppers are open to receiving promotions on their mobiles whilst they are using store WiFi, presenting a fantastic opportunity for retailers to push special offers and notifications
5. Arm sales staff with training and tablets – shoppers are already used to interacting with such devices. More than a third of consumers who own tablets bring them into the store, so staff must be just as comfortable if they are to provide useful assistance
6. If they can’t see it, they can’t use it – retail technology has to be made visible and accessible, and customers need to be made aware of it
Customers are mobile first, so retailers must be too if they are going to make the most of the holiday shopping season. Brands must think like consumers in order to support them with as seamless an experience as possible so that they can shop anywhere, at any time, on any device.
About the author and Usablenet
Carin Van Vuuren is CMO at Usablenet.
Usablenet is a global technology leader for mobile and multi-channel customer engagement. Usablenet’s powerful platform enables leading companies in all sectors to create compelling experiences for their customers across multiple channels, including mobile, tablet, social, and in-store kiosks. Usablenet customers include ASOS, Marks & Spencer, Selfridges, SportsDirect.com, Carphone Warehouse, Expedia, Travelodge and Champneys. Founded in 2000, Usablenet is a private company headquartered in New York City with offices in Los Angeles, Italy and London. For more information, visit us at http://www.usablenet.com or on Twitter @Usablenet.